Friday 13 November 2009

Friday the Thirteenth


MistressDomino did some fine selling work overnight, earning almost fifty million in gold, and ColonelScarlet got the horse he is preparing for Kaerella up another level, but both computers had a disconnection about halfway through the night. Still, the Colonel was able to resume before breakfast, and as lunchtime approached his horse reached level 29.

It was pouring with rain, so I managed a (relatively short) session for MistressDomino before coffee; she went out to Hunter Dranore's territory, and farmed the two ghost pumpkin spawning spots there. She has had her experience gain frozen on 50% now, so just added 11.51% experience and a mere 6 skill points, but grabbed 20 pumpkins, and 5 empty baskets.

After coffee the rain stopped for a while, so I went out for some shopping then, and luckily got back before the rain set in again; so there was only time for another relatively brief adventure before lunch, this time with Kaerella taking a trip out to Prokion Temple, again on Katar-5. Kae started by losing her level 27 experience, and then settled in in the back room; by lunchtime she was back up to 29.61%, and had got 106 skill points, 86 of which she then used to learn the first two levels of one of the advanced gathering skills, plus 1145 pet points.

After the break, Kaerella continued her work in the Temple's back room, where she has no trouble at all, thanks to the rather good armour and accessories - no Self Heal at all is needed. The Friday "happy hour" was apparently 50% extra experience, which would have been more of a hindrance, but I can't say I noticed it particularly. Probably Kae ought to have added less than 46.54% more experience while adding 167 more skill points, and 1829 pet points, getting her drake up to level 19 - who can tell?

At that point Kaerella went back to Randol and spent all her skill points - and then she returned to the Temple and died 26 times, to get rid of the recent experience. And after that before the food break there was still time to notch up 34 skill points, 384 pet points, and 9.34% experience.

The evening's "Epic Event" was scheduled, according to the website announcement, to begin on Auzura at eight o'clock UK time, so I logged in over there for a while to be able to see in-game announcements. Rage went out to the Forgotten Temple, in fact, and spent a little while fighting Jumping Devils and so on, though at level 72 she only added 2.17%, 10 skill points, and 508 pet points. However, the hour arrived, and there were no in-game announcements at all... and then a few minutes later announcements did start, but for a radically different kind of deal.

Checking the forum, it seemed that leaders of parties would have to register there, server by server, for the Event; they would be Summoned to the Tomb of Theos themselves, but would have to recall their party members. Eventually we worked out that this didn't mean separately instanced party quests or anything, it just meant that by registering, anyone could get a "free ride" to the Tomb... so Kaerella registered for the Katar extravaganza, which was scheduled for 9:00pm.

In the meantime, Kae headed back to the Katar-5 Prokion Temple, and its back room, and returned to the Orc-bashing. I worked out that I might just have time to get to a total of 117 skill points, for the last two levels of epsilon wave processing, and at ten minutes to the hour I was on 115, and just thinking that I had just enough time to get the last two points and return to Randol to learn the skills before things started...when suddenly, the Tomb of Theos was loading for me.

Things had already started, I found, as I ran around the corner towards the usual starting place with its room of Screaming Zonbies - there were Nivas and Wraiths and Arch Liches there, and the battle had commenced.

Kaerella may only be level 27, but she joined in the fighting, even if she does only do 62 damage at a time. The intrepid band of adventurers surged onwards, discovering and despatching Almas and Reinforced Troll Berserkers, and then Chasers, Swamp Trolls and Barren Eises. I did get hit by a local Zombie, and found myself back at the start, but quickly ran back. The usual zombies and mummies respawned, of course, so things got pretty difficult pretty quickly - there were many different varieties of Cube Guard around, but we moved on, discovering more Nivas and even some cave spirits. But my next death took me out of the running, as this time it just wasn't possible to run back through the respawned local inhabitants.

Still, being given a free trip to the Tomb had its advantages. I'd respawned by the teleporter NPC inside after my last attempt to run back down, so I used her to take me outside, and added the location of the entrance to my memory scroll. I then ran off towards where those level 63 and 64 sphinx fighters and "speer" men hang out, since that is a useful location for levelling once Kae has got all her skill points. The various kinds of Wafe were no problem, as they aren't aggressive, but the sphinx fighters were a different matter, I had to look for gaps, and used a potion of haste. I did attempt to use the Sand Golem transformation scroll I had, but sadly I am not high enough level for that yet. I did get chased a little, but I made it through to the old familiar tents and campfire - and added that location to my memory scroll too.

So, that was useful, and more than made up for losing 10 skill points there. I just hope that the high-level people managed to get to the end of the Tomb, and reunite GM Beatrice's spirit with her body. I reluctantly decided that the Cariae version of the event, starting at ten o'clock, my time, would just go on too late, and that anyway even level 101 was a bit low for the monsters and dangers involved. The Auzura version will actually be at breakfast time tomorrow morning for me - or midnight PST, since there is an eight hour difference. All in all, I think eating breakfast would be a healthier start to Saturday.

ColonelScarlet had been faithfully working on the horse all through this, and by log-out time should have got the animal halfway through level 30. He had a bit of a scare shortly before lunch - I looked across at his screen, and he wasn't just fighting his gnoll lancer, some sweetheart had lured at least four aggressive, pet-eating gnoll soldiers onto him too! Luckily they hadn't attacked the horse at that stage, and the Colonel's armour was up to the challenge, but I quickly unequipped the horse, and ran far enough away for the soldiers to give up and reset to their normal positions, before returning and continuing where I left off. So for the afternoon and evening, ColonelScarlet moved across to the Berserkers.



No comments:

Post a Comment