Friday 2 October 2009

Into the Canyon of Death


I don't like to keep the older computer running overnight, as it can start to get a bit whirry if it's in action too long, but last night I was tempted to keep both RedRackham and CaptainScarlet pet-levelling from evening through until the morning, and all went well, so that Samael's XxEmOxX moved smoothly into level 34, and Kaerella's SirFrancis moved along nicely too. I did restart Last Chaos on both computers after breakfast, to avoid any "run out of memory" crashes, and they kept going safely until after coffee.

After the break, I logged in over on the Cariae server. I'd managed to buy a couple of platinum skill pills (the blue-and-white ones that add 50% skill exp, and stack with a pssp) yesterday, and passed them across to Enchantrella; I'd already got one psp in the account's records section, so she was able to receive three of them - and I found that I had a package there to download as well, which had two more as well as some skill point boosters, and another package with three pssps... so it's stacking up to be a busy and sp-productive level 29 for Enchantrella, when she gets there.

XxGALAHADxX and Enchantrella headed out to Prokion Temple on Cariae-3, and went to my favourite back room. It all went smoothly enough, and Gal added 14.94% and 82 skill points, while Enchie, in the Combat party grouping, got 4.53% and 81 skill points. They got 168 and 28 guild points for ForceWithin and Norcaine respectively. The only visitor I had was a rogue called BlueFire00, who just asked if I was having "good hunting", mentioning that it was a very hard room at her level. I commented that one really needed the +10 armour there; if one attacked a single Orc, suddenly one would be surrounded by six of them...

One old tradition which I thought had been discontinued reared its ugly head - at 11:30am, UK time, Gal found himself unable to pick up the latest gold dropped by an Orc. yes, it was a mass disconnection, and the type where you are unable to get back in because "account is already logged in". So, CaptainScarlet started his lunchtime pet-levelling stint a bit early; RedRackham couldn't, as he is on the same account as XxGALAHADxX, so SirPerivale had about 45 minutes with his pale blue pony before I was able to successfully log Red on.

So, it was a slightly extended pet-levelling lunch break. After that, Galahad and Enchantrella returned to Cariae-3's Prokion Temple for the main afternoon session. Galahad reached level 32, going up by 17.89% and adding 75 skill points and 232 guild points - it looks, unsurprisingly, as if moving up a level has cut his skill exp gain per kill a bit. Enchie added another 6.13% experience, the same 75 skill points, and 37 guild points. A couple more sessions like that and she will reach level 29, and be ready for her main skill point farming period in a solo party.

One other thing I fitted in was a reconnaissance trip to Misty Canyon, as that was where the evening's "Epic Event" with GM Beatrice was due to take place. On Auzura, my most likely candidate to attend was Memree, so she it was who rode down through Merac to Teleporter Sellma, after carefully spending all 29 skill points she had on some low levels of useful skills.

It was easy enough to ride past the elite type Bandits, Blood Frenzies and Highlanders that one encounters along the way, and then, after dismounting, Memree was able to sneak past the Elite Cerberii, which unlike the normal ones are aggressive, and reach the teleporter, Sellma.

Inside, Misty Canyon is a re-use of the map of the third "personal dungeon", Ajaka Canyon, but with different monsters - not foes for a level thirty-something fighter, in there the monsters start at level 124 with the Introducer Camio, followed by the level 127 Punisher Mahlax, the level 130 Performer Bereed, the level 133 Commander Agaress, the level 136 Judge Barack, and the level 139 Chaser Chroshel. They are all aggressive, and have various nasty skills to stun, make dizzy, slow attack, silence - or the one I encountered, a very speedy "bleed" effect reducing my health to 1. And that was before the special high-level stuff was added for the Event!

There were certainly a lot of the monsters around, as Memree carefully moved forward to investigate - unlike in Ajaka Canyon, they started right away, and were all along the paths, standing there or drifting around. Nevertheless, I was able to thread my way between them, their aggro range generally seeming pretty short. Thankfully, the gates that in Ajaka Canyon won't swing back until you've killed everything here were already open, so I was able to make my way down through the open first stage, and then into the tunnel leading to the first large room, which was pretty much full of those large, high-level types.

I did take a hit or two as I passed, there wasn't enough room to stay clear entirely, but I got through the room, and whatever had hit me wasn't interested enough to follow me. So I went down the next passageway - and actually emerged into the approach to the final area, before the monsters were too close together to pass, and I finally got killed.

Back by the entrance, I then got myself killed a few more times, as I needed to take Memree down to only 0.00% of the way into level 31, so that she can farm some much-needed skill points soon - once she inherits the +13 armour set, and the +15 level 33 weapon. But it was a scary place.

Towards the end of a rather extended early evening food break, I noticed that a post I'd made on the Last Chaos forums about the current pet-levelling knight build had received a response, giving details of what was needed to pet-level on the Spike Canines just inside the entrance to Maargadum Jail, so since RedRackham, fighting his Berserker, was fairly near there, I took him over to check things out - and found that yes, with his current 1301 physical defence (not counting any Armour Increase buff), a level 42 Spike Canine would be just about okay for pet-levelling. The couple of people there doing that didn't need to have red names, I noticed...

Once the break was over, the time for the Auzura "Epic Event" was getting close, so I logged Memree in again, and teleported to the appropriate spot in Merac. Unfortunately a friend (in real life) who'd said they would drop in rather earlier had got delayed, so that I didn't get to see all that much of the adventure, as they arrived just as things were starting. The old "I must just check on my computer" excuse will only work for so many times, I find...

Still, Memree did manage to make it just as far as she had previously, and saw the added monsters in action, all scary stuff. I was in two minds about whether or not to take Barbarienne to the Cariae version of the Event, since her level 100 would be substantially below all the monsters... but I didn't have to make an immediate decision.

What I did do was go shopping on Cariae. The item I was mainly looking for was a +15 level 33 weapon for Enchantrella to use once she reaches level 29, and just as I was about to give up, I found one, for 149,999,999 gold, which didn't seem too unreasonable. I imagine that the influx of all the freebie +10 level 33 weapons would inspire some people to try their luck at getting their spare one to +15. MistressDomina, my Cariae merchant, hasn't got anything like the amount of gold that her Auzura equivalent, MistressDomino with an "O", has, but she had enough for that, so I bought it, and traded it across to Enchantrella, in exchange for recent loot-drops like moonstone boxes and large attack potions. I also passed 25 million across, which meant that Enchantrella was able to buy a Stone of Shadows accessory, which someone was selling for 20 million. It cost another million to identify it, but with her improved evasion, and that +15 weapon ready for use when she gets to level 29, her future is looking good.

Barbarienne logged in for the Cariae "Epic Event" in good time. It turned out that we didn't have to ride down through Merac to get to Misty Canyon; instead everyone met up just outside Randol's north gate, and when the hour was reached, doppelgangers of Teleporter Sellma appeared, who were able to take us straight to the start of the action.

It was all very hectic, I must say. Zenderfly had recruited me to her party again, arriving with a few minutes to spare, and this time had brought a level 113 cleric, the highest-rated one on Cariae she told me: DJeemzz. Zen managed to recruit GM Beatrice, the heroine of the tale, into our party as well; we had a fifth member too, but I have no idea even what class they were, though of course they were a good few levels above me.

The whole Cariae contingent set off down Misty Canyon, killing the local monsters, and the special additions, like Cube Guards, Patriarch Botis, Futons, and Reinforced Troll Kings. The good thing about the extra ones was that they didn't respawn - the bad thing about the Performer Bereeds etc was that they did respawn. The large room inside the mountain was incredibly hectic, but it was on the corridors after that that I couldn't avoid getting killed. The first time I used a resurrection scroll to respawn there, and quickly triggered a second one and used Self Heal - but it was only a minute before I died again, and this time, while I used the scroll, I opted to respawn back at the start, for a quieter resurrection. The run back was fraught with danger, though of course plenty of other people were running down too. I got back to the main, if depleted, group safely, and returned to the shooting of arrows at the bad guys, and also doing as much party healing as I could, and some individual healing too..

I assume DJeemzz was doing a lot more healing than I was, though it seemed to me at the time that it was just me, and an archer's healing is nowhere near as good as a cleric's - particularly a level 112 cleric's, in one of the impressive high-level armours. I tried to use Party Heal when I could and when people were within range, even though it can attract monster attention - Heal too, though even repeating it as quickly as it recharged did very little for GM Beatrice's health bar, since at level 145 she has rather a lot of health. DJ did thank me at the end for helping her out on the healing, which was thoughtful.

As usual Beatrice was throwing herself enthusiastically into the fight, exhorting us to forge onwards - she had health and mana stealer potions active, but even so her health often got dangerously low. We'd run on, fight, run some more, and at last we reached the castle-type final room, which was crawling with the local monsters, and plenty of blue dragons and other big, mean stuff - and, leading from the front as always, Beatrice went down! It fell to me to, well, first of all locate the corpse, and get close, and then use Resurrection on her to bring her back into the fight. She was the heroine of the adventure of course, but I guess that makes me at least a useful companion, yes?

There weren't any Hands spawned as rewards at the end, but I did pick up a gold drop or two along the way, and earned a level 86 armour drop - just a sorcerer chestpiece, so probably something best just sold to Geres, rather than me spending a million to identify it, and then try to sell it in merchant mode. Beatrice had to move on to the next server's Event, Zen left fairly promptly - apparently the main bad guy managed to escape, so we all vacated the premises, and DJeemzz and I were among those who, entering into the spirit of things, ran back to the start, though I had to use a few more great healing potions to avoid getting killed along the way. What will the next "Epic Event" be? Hopefully next week we will find out. I did take a few screenies, even before Zen reminded me too, and hopefully will have the time to post a few tomorrow in the Kaerella.com screenshot gallery.

Kaerella has been reunited with her drake SirFrancis now, usefully into level 37, and CaptainScarlet finished the evening working on the one she had borrowed in his stead, which is nearing the top of level 27. RedRackham has taken over responsibility for Samael's horse XxEmOxX, which is at present getting towards the top of level 34, so was starting to get a bit hungry under Cap's stewardship.





No comments:

Post a Comment