Tuesday 27 October 2009

Nearly Hallowe'en...


It wasn't a very successful night for pet-levelling. As well as having RedRackham on the new computer I'd left the older machine on, with Galahad and his horse, expecting to be able to switch it off halfway through the night, but I didn't happen to wake up, so it was almost breakfast time when I next checked what was going on - to find that Galahad had been killed, along with Leopardknight who was also pet-levelling at the Berserkers on Cariae-3. And both my computers had the "disconnected" pop-up window, too.

The disconnection meant that I had missed the option of Galahad using a resurrection scroll, but as he only had 4 unused skill points that didn't matter, and, more importantly, the Pandora's Beast which, I assume, had killed us had attacked Gal first rather than his horse, so that my pet was still fit and healthy, with no expensive "unsealing" needed. RedRackham had been down with the Gnoll Lancers, so hadn't been in danger from that particular beast.

Anyway, by coffee time Gal's horse was nicely into level 29, and Red's drake had reached level 23, so some progress had been made.

After coffee, it was time for the Auzura version of SirDarth to head for Prokion Temple on A4; when he found the back room free, RedRider logged in to join him. Red was level 26, and Darth was right at the top of level 36, so a Combat party was quickly made. Before Red was in compass range Darth was getting 3,792 experience and 3,300 skill exp per Orc Sergeant, and 2,566/1,100 per Orc Axeman; once Red had arrived this changed to about 38,000/4,750 and 16,500/3300, so Red was a very welcome visitor. There was an extra 75% experience and skill exp running at the time, so the figures wouldn't usually be as high. They did go down a little when Darth reached level 37, but around 33,500/4,000 and 13,000/2,700 was still well worth having, and by lunchtime SirDarth was up by 26.47% and 145 skill points, with RedRider up 14.92% and 142 skill points.

Since the team couldn't be made again, unless as an Equal party until Red reached 27, they both stayed together in the Temple over lunchtime, and resumed work afterwards; the sorcerer DarkCronos was fighting there, but there did seem to be enough Orcs for both of us; he didn't stay long, but did return later. A level 30 mage called MOLLY asked to join the party, but didn't find it as good as soloing so soon left. She too returned a little later, and we continued to exchange buffs. She left rather suddenly in the end, I didn't see what happened but I hope she wasn't killed.

The Auzura version of Zenderfly logged in, which slightly confused me as, since I'd been playing both the Cariae and Auzura versions of SirDarth, I wasn't too sure where I actually was - on Cariae, Zenderfly isn't in the Norcaine guild but in a high-level one called SafeHaven. I reported the good news that level 37 characters got useful skill exp in Prokion Temple; she has kindly offered Barbarienne some more power-levelling, though it seems sensible to wait until the free bonus experience and skill exp event is over, as for power-levelling one would be wasting it since it doesn't "stack" with a platinum blessed iris.

Zen had supplied me with a link to the German equivalent of the Last Chaos Wet Paint Wiki, which had some screenshots of horses and dragons emblazoned with a heart, skull & crossbones, or card-suite insignia. I can't say I think much of the decorations, but no doubt some people will buy the appropriate card from the Item Mall.

At around mid-afternoon RedRider's older computer decided to run out of memory. Red remained theoretically in the game and in the party for a while, but finally left, so that meant the session was over. SirDarth had added another 24.46%, so is very nearly halfway through level 37, and 132 skill points; RedRider had moved on by another 13.87% and 129 skill points. Darth then headed for Merac to catch up on the local quests, and rode down to the Gnolls to get ten of their red toenails, for a new quest.

After the food break, it was the Katar Kaerella's turn to do a bit of work. I headed, of course, for Prokion Temple; first of all I went to Katar-5, the first of the two non-PvP sub-servers, but I found that I was just getting the normal amount of skill exp, not the extra 75%, so I left the party I was in there, and moved to Katar-6, where I did get the extra. I reported the lack of the event bonus in Katar-5 in the forum shoutbox, but it seems possible that this wasn't a problem with the server, it could just have been a bug for me, and that relogging back to the same sub-server, instead of a different one, might have cured it. So, that's something new I learnt today...

One of Kae's guildies in DarkzerRoughneks, WOOTHOOT, was asking how he could get his weapon sealed - once I'd made sure he wasn't talking about bloodseals, but the kind of sealing that renders an item almost useless until the Archbishop is paid to unseal it, I told him that he would have to get a red name, and then be killed - each time he was killed while deeply enough red, there was a chance of an equipped item being sealed.

So, he asked me to help him; I moved across to the PvP sub-server he was on, Katar-4, again in Prokion Temple, and allowed him to kill me. There was a slight delay until we remembered that he'd have to leave the guild to do that, but then he got into the swing of things. I had spent my skill points before going out, in case of accidents, but I don't think I had any problems.

Once Woot had got up to a suitably high evil rating, it was my turn to kill him - he took off his armour, as I had done, and revenge was sweet, or something - killing him repeatedly Kae quickly got a blue name, and ended up with a 105 rating on the "good" side. Another player there kindly changed to her red-named archer, SUPRGRL, and allowed Woot to complete his return to the good side, and go blue-named too, though he took a long time to kill her, particularly the first time when she was on full health.

Woot did manage to get his weapon sealed, which explained the slowness with which he killed Suprgrl. I gather that there is a theory that you can upgrade a sealed weapon with heaven stones in the usual way, and that it being sealed means it won't break, or at least is less likely to break. We'll have to see how Woot gets on.

Including a few ghouls and mummies killed at the end, Kaerella went up by 105.60%, and added 300 skill points, all but one of which have been easily spent. But then it was time to change servers, to move to Cariae-3, and change from a level 23 archer to my level 101 one, Barbarienne - ready for the Mad Monster Spawn.

The "MMS", conducted by GM Kali, went pretty well. I got recruited into a party by a level 69 rogue, ChefDuPain (I wonder if her real name is Ms Baker?), along with the level 34 rogue Rikosi, and Galinde (65), Hark3n (94), and Tirranus (91). We didn't always work as a team, but I did some healing, including managing to keep our Chef alive, and, by keeping to the policy of not picking a fight with anything high-level that wasn't already fighting someone, stayed alive, though there were a couple of times I got attacked and debuffed.

The drops were okay, from the Hands and a little cash picked up; it was an Equal party, so that all the loot got distributed, which made me feel better about ignoring a Fluton when the final Hands were spawned, and concentrating on picking up the loot. After all, Flutons take an age to kill, it was still there when everything had been picked up.

I'm not sure if we succeeded in "winning" the MMS or not - probably not, as those Hands were kindly spawned when there were still a few Flutons and a Patriarch Botis or two still active. Still, it was fun. A shame that Katar's event was held at the same time, but if it had followed on, I'd have had a very late night.

There was time for Galahad to be joined by RedRackham for a little pet-levelling while I worked on the blog; Gal's horse had reached level 30 while I was Fluton-fighting, and Red's drake might reach level 24 before the computers get switched off. Maintenance tonight is at midnight, UK time, so, with the servers switched off then, there's no chance of any overnight pet work.

We are promised that the Hallowe'en event proper will begin after maintenance, with candies, pumpkins, and everything else we had last year. There are also a few new hats, or other items of headgear, to be bought in the item mall apparently, while the missing maps and the missing names of some elite monsters will also be fixed. "Be on the lookout for an exciting announcement before the next maintenance", the patch notes post concludes...

No comments:

Post a Comment