Friday 25 December 2009

The Christmas Spirit


I did manage to do a fair bit of playing today, starting with a morning session over on the new Tairen server with SirGalahad; he killed little treants and werewolves for Hunter Dranore, and killed quite a few drakes, which was handy for a bit of pet-levelling, and the green orbs they dropped were useful for a quest later - there's nothing like being given a quest to get things, and being able to get the reward immediately.

I had a bit of luck on my way to Velpist Temple - I saw a Pandora's Box, and when I opened it, it dropped 50,000 gold, which was what I needed for guild upgrading. With prices the way they are on the new server, that is a lot of money.

In the temple, Gal graduated to what I think of as the anteroom to the main "book of life" room, and levelled up there. A rogue called Dre1 was fighting in that room too, and very kindly gave me a knight helm, level 12 +4, she had picked up, not wanting any gold for it - and a little later gave me a new drop she'd had, a level 17 sword of glory +2, which was a nice improvement over the level 13 sword I'd been using - the only item of equipment Galahad had actually bought! Sadly, I didn't get any rogue-type drops that I could offer her.

An afternoon session for SirGalahad was mainly spent in Prokion Temple; having gone up 157.08% in the morning, plus 71 skill points, Galahad was only about 20% short of level 17, so it didn't take many ghouls to get up to their level. Before long, I was able to move on to that mummy room, with just the single orc soldier to avoid, but I had a bit of trouble with a couple of members of a guild called DestructioN. Well, the healer was quiet and just got on with the job, but the rogue, called "youtrustingbud", suddenly and theatrically ks'd me for no reason, and when I asked "why the ks?" accused me of ks-ing them, and pretended that they owned the whole server. When that provoked a "lol" from me, "see my gm sword in your mouth" was the response.

It was interesting to be a silent witness to an exchange that happened not long after:

FightForLife > hey noob
FightForLife > poser...
youtrustingbud > what
FightForLife > u gonna die... everytime i see u just watch
FightForLife > change ur name
youtrustingbud > no
FightForLife > change ur name....
FightForLife > yes
FightForLife > ill always kill u noob
FightForLife > tht is my fking name on hatz... no1 coulda thought of it
FightForLife > ur not the real me
FightForLife > if u wanna play wiht tht name so be it just rember ur on my kos
youtrustingbud > why am i
FightForLife > THIS MY NAME FROM HATZ AND HOW COULD ANYONE THINK OF IT
FightForLife > >>>>>>
FightForLife > tht why ur on my kos
FightForLife > Ive had tht name on hatz for all my 90 lvls...
youtrustingbud > lol its me lumper dude chill i know your mom chill i wanted to represent you on lc
FightForLife > i dont want anyone to take it
FightForLife > thts not funny bud...

High drama, eh? But if false-bud knows real-bud's Mom, that may well avoid murder being done (?). Strangely, when after fighting some other ghouls and mummies I returned to that room, the DestructioN duo had disappeared...

But anyway, I managed to get SirGalahad to level 20, before logging out for the early evening food break, so another 318.57% had been safely added, as well as 191 more skill points... and Gal's pet pony was safely into level 4.

We were promised a celebratory parade at 5:00pm, UK time, on Katar-4, but it was a bit of a disappointment - I didn't see any marching around town or handing out of transformation scrolls and firecrackers, though after an announcement that Santa had dropped some goodies around town, I was lucky enough to be the first on the scene for one drop of about six items, next to Merchant Geres - mainly just "hand" items, but including two "great MP boost potions", which increase one's total mana by 30% for 24 hours. Not as useful as the HP equivalent, but maybe someone might buy them.

Unfortunately trying to trade the Christmas balls to [GM]OgreKing was impossible; I assume it isn't just me who, if one attempts to trade with someone and they are already trading, and thus fails, continues to get a "you are already trading with" message on all future attempts? The mob around Oggy was thick, as people were hoping for some goody in exchange for the balls they handed in. Maybe they did get something, I don't know. The idea was that if 500 of the balls were handed in, then the server would get a few hours of 50% extra experience and skill exp. Whether the GM deliberately disconnected the people nearest him, or the crush of people caused it, I don't know, but it's not the first time a crush around a GM has been temporarily solved that way.

A level 17 knight called "yougetown" applied to be added to Memree's Friends List, and I allowed him on - and to my relief it wasn't someone wanting my password, for a change. He wanted to team up to help him level up a bit, and, it being Christmas, I decided that I could help; being less than 15 levels ahead, a regular party in Prokion Temple, in my back room, would do him a power of good. I had been thinking of going to the "Parade" on other servers, but had rather lost interest in that.

He told me that he has a level 138 character on another account, but wants to get yougetown to level 90 just so that he can make a night shadow on a different account to his main character, which sounds reasonable; I noticed that his guild was "GHOSTRIDERS2". and GhostRiders are one of the top Katar guilds.

I had to persuade him to get the Elizabeth's Enhancement buff; I'd assumed that it was why he'd wanted to be on Katar-1, but apparently not. He went back to town on level 18, and again on level 20, to get the new accessory and other quests, and boy did he take his time returning, leaving Memree just standing around. He was hoping to get to level 27, or 25, but had to go soon after reaching level 21. Memree just got about 4 more skill points, to reach 117, then went back to town, spent them, and went to Misty Canyon to get rid of the 22.78% experience.

Talking of that special accessory, after that I logged SirGalahad back in over on Tairen-1, and grabbed the level 20 quests myself, so that I too became the proud owner of a "Dash Neckless of Knight", which is kind of like a necklace I suppose, but with less neck. It adds 16 to strength, 8 to (close range physical) attack, 20% to health recovery rate, and 10 to magical defence, so is rather better than anything else Gal has. One quest gave a level 17 metal shield +1, which was useful as I'd been looking for a new shield, or at least hoping one would drop, as my thrifty knight was still using a level 1 one until then. 72 + 4 defence is a nice improvement on 24!

SirGalahad was also able to learn all five levels of Vitality Control at level 20, increasing HP regeneration rate, so is a much improved character. The various quest rewards, doubled by the Elizabuff, moved him on by not much short of 60% experience, too. However, a final hour or so at Prokion got him moved along a bit further; he started still fighting the mummies, but by the end was fighting orc soldiers, often three or four at a time. By the end of the evening Gal had reached level 23, which seemed a good stopping point. That was an experience gain of 300.67%, along with 230 skill points; he hardly equipped his pony at all, as the mummies and orcs seemed a bit too hungry, but every 18 pet points helps, yes? The gain had been helped by us gaining that extra 50% on both experience and skill exp. so [GM]OgreKing must have been able to get the 500 Christmas balls he needed.

A lot of people are looking for level six guilds on Tairen, but there must be a bit of a shortage of them as yet. A level 35 guild master must be possible, even yesterday someone mentioned they were level 37, and getting the necessary 960 skill points by then wouldn't be difficult, it's the 3,810,000 gold that is the problem. On the other servers that's the equivalent of a couple of heaven stones, but on Tairen, at the last price I saw, it's the equivalent of more than fifty. Gold is rare - but still it seems that half the people fighting in Prokion Temple don't bother to pick it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment