Friday 18 December 2009

Out of the Invisible Vortex


This time leaving the two character overnight in the guild hall worked, and there were 14 Christmas Gift Boxes there when I switched the monitors back on this morning. The older computer was still running - it was the newer one that had "run out of memory", so RedRyder had to be logged back in; she hurried back to the guild hall, as her next box was almost due. Of the 14, only one contained a platinum drop booster, but when Red's next box arrived, that increased the total to two.

ColonelScarlet being the only one with a horse of level 16 or above, I decided that he might as well use a reindeer transformation book, so he is now training a cute little reindeer. The book was replaced in his inventory with a scroll to undo the transformation, which presumably would vanish, like the reindeer books, the next time he logged out. The Colonel has however put it into storage, in the hope that it might last there.

I was busy downstairs all morning, so, while ColonelScarlet eventually went out to do some pet-levelling, I decided the time had come to get a bit drastic with the newer computer. For the last couple of days on that machine the "O" pet window has refused to appear, which means that it is a little hard to keep track of a pet's exact health and hunger, and its pet points total can only be found, similarly, by opening the inventory and checking the icon there. More importantly, it has made it impossible to supply the horse buffs for added attack and defence, ruling out my level 50 cleric's trips to fight the akane giants.

So, after downloading last night an unofficial almost up-to-date version of the Last Chaos installer from FilePlanet by a player called Ciros, as recommended by a gamesage in the forum shoutbox, I uninstalled Last Chaos (after copying the screenshots folder safely into the "pictures" folder) - and the next step was to attempt to defragment the hard disk, using a free application called "My Defrag", which I recommend most lowly - it hung at 76%, and completely froze the computer, I don't think I've ever had to use the manual restart button on the computer's case before. Still, 76% is better than nothing!

Installation of the new client went smoothly, though, and the subsequent patching was mercifully brief - and, to my great relief, the pet window was restored.

I had a bit of luck at lunchtime. ColonelScarlet was down fighting his gnoll lancer in south Merac, and at 1:30 UK time his next Christmas Gift Box was due, so I came upstairs and checked up - and the villainous MacroMejs, who I see is a member of a no doubt ironically named guild called "FriendsOfGame", was just luring my gnoll lancer, and me, and my pet, towards the aggressive, pet-eating monsters across beyond the other side of the clearing. "van", MacroMejs said, whatever that means. "hi Mac ^^" I replied, stopping my progress, to which he could only reply, thwarted, "aricn". I teleported out of there, across to the rather safer position with the bandits and berserkers.

But the naughty little chap didn't leave things there. A few minutes later, the next time I checked, MacroMejs had taken the trouble to find me there, and had already lured my berserker, and me, and my pet, a substantial distance east across the map - and had almost reached a group of blood frenzies.

I think there may be some sort of attitude problem with ol' Macro. He had whispered me with "jajajaja - lady scarlet - muack muak - :) - you are friki - kerella macromejs jajaja - me la paso por el forro de los cojones - ahora apunta - tu si q eres triste y encima toj tedestrz mierds" and then in open speech "jejeje - vrn coronel - jejeje" - at which point, when I'd seen what was going on, I'd said "persistent little beggar aren't you, lol?" An onlooker, sucin, had commented "bad style" at that point. "jajaja - te vol a matar quand te pill - tu cabeza crak - marikon - andonde vas - forest gam - corre corre" - and then, after I was out of range, further whispers of "julandorn - hoy escriviras mucho - lady - marika". I'm just using the hyphens for different lines of text. All a bit strange, yes?

The afternoon session had a bit of a late start, as I was still busy with stuff downstairs initially, but eventually Kaerella went out to the akane giants and giants on Cariae-1. I had logged MistressDomino in there too to provide the solo party while standing around in the guild hall waiting for a gift box, but before long the night shadow Oppertunity got in touch, and asked if I would help him move his mount back across to his rogue. He had decided that he didn't enjoy playing a night shadow, and after equipping the character, was very low on gold and generally a bit disgruntled. So I had to log MD out, and I brought in KarambA instead, a level 11 healer there who only has one pet, a level 1 pony, and thus can handle trades - you can't have more than two of the old horse and drake type pets in your inventory at the same time.

The trade was made, a level 33 mount from Oppertunity to KarambA, and then across to the rogue HarD. As Kae had already picked up a couple of tree baubles, I went back to Randol with her too, and got the tree buffs - one of which gives extra drops for 40 minutes, apparently, though I didn't notice any lavish amounts of loot, and the other counts down for an hour with a promise of something special, and then vanishes..."When 'God Bless You' disappears, you will receive the Christmas Blessings", it says, but there isn't any special drop or buff then.

Kaerella headed back out to the giants and akane giants, with me keeping an eye on the shoutbox as well and making the occasional contribution. The most interesting exchange came when [GM]OgreKing came in for a few minutes, and people were asking if the lock of a maximum of 50% on experience gain which a guild can apply, to help people farm skill exp before they get too high-level, could perhaps be relaxed, so that an 80% or 90% lock would be possible. "Andrew, if you kill mobs that are the same level as you, SP should not be an issue" [GM]OgreKing said, after mentioning that he personally had voted in favour of getting rid of experience locking completely, rather than leaving it at 50%. My comment that, surely, that would have messed up the guild point system was conveniently ignored. If Ogre truly believes that people could get all the skills they need, including the high-level ones, without any experience lock at all, or having to use potions and boosters, well, I think he needs to get out into the World of Iris a bit more.

Kaerella's session continued beyond the food break, but around six o'clock, UK time, the shoutbox was asked what an "invisible vortex" was - and it was in fact Ogre who was the first to realise that that meant that[GM]Valsharyn had been lining up a new Mad Monster Spawn, as Val tends to start off with messages about having seen a vision of an invisible vortex which was about to unleash monsters upon us. As usual, most of the announcements must have just been on Auzura only - but, from what did get more widely broadcast, I guessed that things were going down on Auzura-4, so Kaerella logged out from Cariae-1, and RedRider, my level 26 rogue, logged in on Auzura-4. In all Kae had just added 10.65% and 78 skill points, taking her almost to halfway through level 50 and back over the 8k mark for unused sp, plus 740 pet points.

The Mad Monster Spawn had already started when I arrived. As usual [GM]Valsharyn kept things interesting, with plenty of encouragement and comments, and some easy "warm up" monsters between main waves. The "boss" wave was a hard one, but we all worked together, including Val, who often seemed to be our main tank, and finally overcame the last Flutons and Patrarch Botises. I did die quite a few times - and other people were saying that they had lost hundreds of skill points. But the rewards were pretty good, and by the end Red was remarkably close to having an overweight inventory.

A titan called Cam1204 was getting well into the teamwork spirit, and bought a large number of health potions while he was back in Randol (having no doubt, like me, won a free trip there from a Fluton or some other big bad monster), which he passed around to people who needed them. I assumed they were the small type, which cost 440 gold each - after the event was over he was still distributing them, I accepted his offer of fifty free ones - and was very surprised that they were actually the "great" size, which cost 5,430 gold each, so that was a nice gesture on his part, handing such valuable stuff out.

After that I switched back to Kaerella, to make up for her enforced lay-off for the last couple of days, and headed back to the giants and akane giants. It was just after nine when Kamira teleported in, so my mage Keerella took over, and rode out to fight her, arriving within five minutes of her initial appearance.

Kamira didn't drop a rare accessory, but she dropped the usual assortment of a crystal of experience (greater), a medal of honour, tool aids, lucky scrolls, medium mana potions, moonstones, great healing potions, 58,380 gold, and a hero's necklace - 33 evasion and 4 intelligence. So the fight was worthwhile, and again I hadn't used a lucky scroll or item drop booster.

There was just time for Kaerella to have a few more minutes out there, so she rode back. On the way a knight called minwoo rode up. "A question - do you want to change your pet's colour?" My reply was "Not really, thank you", as, well, I'm used to SirFrancis being the natural drake colour. Minwoo gave me armour and concentration buffs, and rode off towards town. "Oh well, just giving stuff away"...

I stayed out just long enough for another Christmas Gift Box to arrive, which just dropped a Shiny Red Sorceror Santa Hat. By then, Kae's session, before and after Kammy, had added 9.90%, 694 pet points, and 72 more skill points. Then, well, it was time to go back to the Discipline guild hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment