Tuesday 19 January 2010

Three Castle Stormings


SirGalahad seemed to be doing so well last night down in Maargadum jail that I left him to it - and he got almost all of the way through the hours of darkness before finally getting a disconnection, so hist new pony was moved along nicely. I got him back in place before breakfast, with his pony just reaching level 16, and becoming a horse - and he kept going all morning, and onwards, though someone did "ks" him, killing his death mask lancer, over lunch. It always seems such a petty thing to do - there Gal is, bothering nobody, but someone passing by thinks "Oh, I could spoil things for him, what fun", and does the dirty deed...

I didn't have an actual playing session before lunch, as it was time for the Grand Monthly Food Shop, but, once the freezer had been refilled, things were able to get back to normal. It's always good to come back to the computer after about, on this occasion, two-and-a-half hours, and find SirGalahad still faithfully hard at work.

By the time I was ready to start an afternoon session, the horse was comfortably into level 19. So, SirGalahad logged out, and the Discipline Duo, Rage and RedRyder, headed for Prokion Temple on Tairen-1, in their Combat party.

The place, luckily, wasn't too busy, and most people who passed me kept going. Rage was doing the fighting, mainly of orc soldiers but with a few orc fighters, while Red did the loot picking up - and we continued until it was time for the early evening food break. Rage went up by 8.01% and 54 guild points, while RedRyder went up by just 2.39% and 9 guild points - and they got 137 skill points each. So, nothing astonishing, but a useful investment in Red's future prospects.

SirGalahad got back into action after that; I did at one point notice a sorcerer who had decided to share my death mask lancer, and said hi to him. He asked what level my horse was, which was 20 by then, and told me his was level 16. But, as usually happens, the lancer changed its attack across to him before long, and he found that he couldn't take it - so, thoughtfully, he teleported out rather than lure it after him towards the exit.

The main evening session was over on Cariae-1 again with my level 52 cleric, Kaerella. I managed to join a solo party before too long, but it ran out of people before the end of my session, so I had to move on to another. It seems strange to me that people bother to join a solo party and then only stay half an hour, or maybe just ten minutes or less.

Anyway, slogging away on the akane giants and their boss got Kae another 19.26%, plus 1715 pet points and a useful 148 skill points. But I had to log out a little before nine o'clock, as it was almost time for some castle-storming...

I went to the Katar "Storm the Castle" event, with my level 31 rogue Memree; [GM]JediMike was in charge, and waiting for us, and was an active participant throughout. There were only about three of us there when the monsters spawned, but luckily other people soon arrived. Our GM was in rather a talkative mood. "Y'all need help huh? Sarissa and Hatzring finish this quick, cuz they're good - Katar fell off. They never complain either, they're just soldiers - they got heart. Y'all are like the Tin Man. They work together. They got brains. What happened, Katar? Y'all used to be good..."

Well I edited the pep talk slightly, but it seemed to me that, goaded on by [GM]JediMike, Katar did pretty well - and afterwards we got rewarded with Mike's usual generous supplies of loot. Even without armour, he was a useful tank-fighter for us, too. Memree did die once, the area of effect magic attack of the Death Knight is pretty potent at her level, but quickly teleported back from Merac village. Thorny mantises, anubis archers, anubis spear men, dark harpies, hell-otuu... all the usual monsters were there, and we killed them all.

For 9:30 I moved across to Hatzring; I'd taken the precaution earlier of running the local level 22 version of Kaerella down to Merac Castle to get the location onto her memory scroll, so I was just about the first person there. Kae sat down outside the castle, and I did a little blog work - and the next time I looked at the screen, quite a few people had arrived - and [GM]Stratos was sitting next to me in a companionable kind of way.

"Once... I had a son", Startos told us. "He was killed by a Fluton - ate his brains. Since then, I've been killing Flutons. I believe the leader of this attack is a Fluton commander...I've come here to kill him. I hope you will all help me."

"We're all behind you, chief", I exclaimed, caught up in the tragic tale. "Well behind you", I added after a moment...

Kae being a healer and an archer, I wasn't able to do any snaring, but I'm sure the 41 damage she did to the monsters helped us along. Our tide of fighters swept through the castle's courtyards, and no monsters could stand against us for long. Curiously we didn't actually see any Flutons, but there were enough of the usual monsters to keep us busy. There was a pile of loot in the courtyard for us - and then we got a message to hurry to a location outside the castle, where we found a blue dragon to kill. When it was dead, we got another pile of loot, so in all it wasn't as much as JediMike would have given us...but presumably he was busy over on Sarissa.

Auzura followed at ten o'clock, hosted by [GM]JediMike, who had less to say for himself this time. As usual for Auzura I took my level 72 rogue Rage along, so was able to make a more substantial contribution to the attack - though Rage is still rather lower than the top people there. A death knight's magical attack did hurt Rage rather, as did a couple of hell-otuu monsters, like bouncing black leeches, so that quite a few health potions got used, but Rage survived, and all the usual monsters got swiftly killed. And JediMike's rewards at the end, back outside the castle, were suitably generous.

SirGalahad meanwhile had got his third horse into level 21, though of course the server maintenance in the early hours of Wednesday morning, UK time, mean that he can't pull an overnight stint again. The preliminary patch notes are not very inspiring, just mentioning a fix for a glitch with the first personal dungeon, something to stop an "exploit" with the use of weapon and armour covers, and some changes and repairs to quests in Mondshine, which would only effect players at level 145 and above - let us hope that no new glitches sneak in.

No comments:

Post a Comment