Saturday 18 April 2009

Fighting the Sphinxes

Well, it doesn't take very long to open the AVG installation package and choose "repair", after which things apparently run smoothly for the rest of the day, but it seems a strange way to run an antivirus product.  Now that I only have the one pet-leveller at work, it's easy enough to start SirDarth on the newer computer; I think the speed with which the game ran out of memory on the older one might have something to do with AVG wanting to run a full scan every day, as most antivirus types seem to want to do.

Anyway, the horse reached level 35 safely, getting through 7 starvation points every five minutes, or roughly 17 quality stones per hour.  Stavanic brought in a friend of his, Bladesrus, who seemed to want me to raise a mount for some rather small fee, but luckily it seems his pet horse is already level 26, and he'll settle for level 31, which makes for a less daunting task.  He's off for a week from Thursday apparently, so will pass his horse over before he vanishes.

As this is one of my "busy weekends" I didn't do anything active in Last Chaos until a bit after lunch.  The first thing to do was to move the +4 shirt, tiara and gloves from the 45/47 armour set that Kaerella had used across to Rage (Kae never had found the other two pieces), and get Collector Ryu to transform them into their Rogue equivalents, which cost 291,600 gold.  I then checked the Merchant House system, to see if I could buy the leggings and boots, but there were no level 47 boots on sale at all - and only one pair of leggings, at the rather high price of three million. Well, if there was only that one pair available, they must be rare, I decided, so I bought them, transformed them from Knight to Rogue (54,000), used four heaven stones to get them to +3 (so only one failure)...and then moved some lucky smelting stones across from Kae, and got all four pieces up to +6.  So, Rage now has a better armour set than Kae had at this level.

Darkmager had been in touch while I was finishing doing all that, and I'd said that I would meet him at the Auzura-3 Sphinx Fighters in five minutes - and I think I was just about on time.  Whitemessiah2 was already in action, along with a level 31 archer called Killerhealer, who must have been a friend of WM's, as she was clicked on her and afk for almost all the time.  She added me, and Darkmager, and another titan, the level 47 EDWARD, and we all set to work.  It was a bit irritating to have a healer there who wasn't healing, I'm sure we all got through a lot of health pots.  Every time my Snare failed, which seemed rather more often than 30%, I'd take a bashing... but at least I got through the whole session without dying!

Killerhealer left after a while, but the rest of us continued until it was time for my food break.  While I didn't get any skill points, Rage had managed to add 954 pet points, and 42.19% experience.

The evening was fairly similar, though with a different cast.  It was the level 35 titan xXxDELUXxXx who invited me out to the Sphinx types, over on the PvP-enabled sub-server Auzura-5,and we started off well.  He wanted to include the Elite Speer Man, and we did indeed manage to kill him. Delux's health was a bit low as he typed in "Clean kill" - but sadly he hadn't noticed that a regular Sphinx type had been spawned close by, and was attacking him.  He toppled to the ground, dead.  Since he didn't have a resurrection scroll or skill point restoration scroll active, he reckoned he had lost around 500 skill points, so he was not happy.

After a while he brought in the level 33 royal knight xXAcheronXx, who was able to supply me with the rogue's favourite buff, Concentration - increasing the chance that Snare would succeed from 70% to round about 87%.  So, there were still times when I had to run like heck, just not quite as many.  Delux is a "warmaster" type titan I think, with a massive sword instead of the huge axe that Darkmager carries, and we was able to give me a useful buff too sometimes.  But what a lazy pair, every few minutes they'd call for a break, and sit down to replenish their mana.

I did mention that larger mana potions can be bought in Strayana, so hopefully they'll take the hint, invest in some, and almost double their work rate in future.  We did have a little bit of high drama, though; Delux saw another pair there, again a titan and a rogue, get more than one Sphinx type on them, and moved in to help them kill one, but they interpreted this as ks-ing, "kill-stealing", and the rogue, Jaimi, went into PvP mode, which puts a large "X" alongside the name.  

Delux was quietly confident, and went into PvP mode himself - and had his second death of the evening.  I don't know how exactly things work, but apparently that death cost him skill points too,  So, not too good an evening for him.  But the three of us continued, joined by another titan a few levels higher, Cloud, and then the two titans left Acheron and me to duo some as well.  Jaimi returned, and I think Delux and Jaimi may well have another fight, but in the less sp-costly environment of the arena.   Delux was asking me what level I thought Jaimi was - I looked at the armour, which was my old set, so she's either below level 40 or a bit slow to change.

Acheron levelled up, and it wasn't long after that that I levelled up too.  So, as I do have to prepare for an early start tomorrow, I said my goodbyes, and headed back to town.  Level 42 means that I can wear the headgear for the armour set now; apparently level 47 boots are dropped sometimes by the level 51 Rough Jaguar of the Desert, down in the south of Dratan.  Maybe I should investigate, some time.

Rage had added a further 852 pet points, and gone up by another 41.93%, to make a total gain today of 1806 pet points and 84.12% experience.  At only one skill exp per kill out there, no new skill points were added - but at level 42 I was able to get the second levels of Master Weaponsmith and Master Armoursmith, so that was another 690 sp safely used, with Rage still having over fourteen thousand to put against future skills.

Tomorrow, as far as Last Chaos is concerned, I'll only have an evening session of an hour or two, and the Quiz, so there should be rather less to report.  Never fear, though, I'm sure I'll think of something to write...

No comments:

Post a Comment